The quest to maintain mutual understanding and friendship between the Chinese and people of other countries around the world and further promote China’s exchange and cooperation with other countries in various fields, the Chinese government has set up scholarships for outstanding scholars to pursue higher education or conduct research in Chinese universities.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC), a department in China’s Ministry of Education, is responsible for the admission, enrollment and administration of Chinese Government Scholarship recipients.
Designated Chinese universities offer scholarship recipients academic programs in science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, economics, law, management, education, history, literature, philosophy, and fine arts, among others. Please visit the website for further information about designated Chinese universities and majors they offer.
Apply for GREAT Scholarships at Manchester University 2022/23.
Eligible programs for Chinese Government Scholarship
The eligible programs are:
- Great Wall Program: for General Scholars and Senior Scholars from developing countries
- EU Program: for Undergraduates, Postgraduates, General Scholars and Senior Scholars from EU members States
- AUN Program: for Postgraduate Scholars from ASEAN member states
- PIF Program: for Undergraduates, Postgraduates, General Scholars, Senior Scholars from Pacific Island
- WMO Program: for all aspiring international students and scholars in meteorological research.
The scholarship covers all undergraduates, postgraduates, general and senior scholars offered at any of the designated institutions.
Scholars from Asian, African, European, American and Oceanian countries are all eligible for the Chinese Government Scholarships.
Number of scholarships
Study and Work in Canada as a Foreigner.
Selected scholars are entitled to:
- Tuition fees
- Free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
- CNY 2,500 per month stipends for undergraduates
- CNY 3,000 per month for Master’s students/general scholars
- CNY 3,500 per month for Doctoral students/senior scholars
- Comprehensive medical insurance of CNY 800 per person per year or CNY 400 per person (for programs lasting less than six months)
The Chinese Government Scholarship covers both major study and Chinese language study. The Chinese language study is in preparation for major study and it lasts for one year, whereas the duration of the scholarship for major study conforms to that as required by the course.
Eligibility criteria for Chinese Government Scholarship
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of a country other than the PRC
- Be both mentally and physically fit
- Be an academically excellent holder of high school diploma or its equivalent under the age of 25 when applying for an undergraduate program
- Be an academically excellent holder of a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent under the age of 35 when applying for a Master’s program
- Be an academically excellent holder of a Master’s degree or its equivalent under the age of 40 when applying for a doctoral program
- Be a holder of a high school diploma (or higher) under the age of 45 when applying for a general scholar program
- Be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor under the age of 50 when applying for a senior scholar program
- Have passed the HSK (Level 3) when applying for a Chinese-taught undergraduate or general scholar program (excluding Chinese language majors)
- Have passed the HSK (Level 3) when applying for a Chinese-taught senior scholar program
- Have passed the HSK (Level 4) when applying for a Chinese-taught postgraduate program
- Meet the admission requirements of the university of preference in terms of language proficiency and academic ability, among others, when applying for a program taught in a language other than Chinese
You may also apply for University of Birmingham Commonwealth Masters Scholarships.
In addition to being eligible for Chinese Government Scholarship, for your application to be considered you are required to:
- Visit https://www.campuschina.org/universities/ and learn about designated Chinese universities and majors courses they offer. You may other means, and identify the preferred scholarship program, designated university and major courses
- Reach the designated university for admission documents
- Reach an application receiving agency for a recommendation
- Fill in and submit the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship online via the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System at http://www.campuschina.org
After your application:
- The application receiving agency shall submit the recommended candidates list and their application documents
- The CSC will organize designated universities and experts concerned to examine applicants’ eligibility and academic performance before finalizing the short-list candidates
- The CSC will notify the admission results to the application receiving agency that will subsequently have the applicant informed
Learn more about the Chinese Government Scholarship here.