Non-EEA/non-EFTA students who wish to join a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree programme – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School can now apply for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LexS) 2023. The scholarship does not apply to applicants who were already living in The Netherlands and registered in their Dutch municipality’s BRP before 1 January 2021.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LexS) are competitive and only students with excellent academic record are being enrolled.
Leiden University in the Netherlands.
Eligible Programmes for Leiden University Excellence Scholarships
All full-time Masters programmes offered at Leiden University with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School are eligible for the scholarship. The scholarship is available for Master’s programmmes in the following faculties: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, African Studies Centre and International Institute for Asian Studies
Students from all non-EEA/non-EFTA countries.
Number of Awards
The Leiden Excellence Scholarship is available in three levels of award:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme.
To be eligible for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarships, you must:
- Be a non-EEA/non-EFTA* national and applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
- If a national of any other country, be applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Unless applying for All LLM Advanced Studies programmes or MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy (which no nationality restriction applies), have your non-EEA/non-EFTA* passport.
- Not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering).
- Have achieved excellent academic results in your previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s programme for that you are applying.
- Be amongst the top 10% of graduates in your previous study programme.
- Not tend to combine the LExS with another scholarship financed by Leiden University.
- Not tend to combine the LExS with another full scholarship from an external provider.
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
- The faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and inform the Scholarships Team, up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
- The Scholarships Team will notify all LExS applicants of the decisions:
- At the end of November – for the February intake.
- At the end of April – for the September intake.
1 February for programmes starting 1 September and 1 October for programmes starting 1 February (the next year).
Category: SCHOLARSHIPS Tags: